Thursday, June 3, 2021

Shyness and Swagger

In the second of our Spring workshops, Project Manager Fiona introduced us to the fascinating life of the Sand Lizard. We explored the value of contrast, in the world and in creativity, and wrote in haiku and haibun forms to celebrate this gloriously contradictory creature. Enjoy these pieces by Eileen and Rosie . . .


Haiku by Eileen Windridge

A thicket covers

Greenly, thin, shy lizard.

Boldly, bright, he’s out


If I go seeking in the dunes by Eileen Windridge

If I go seeking in the dunes, will I see him?  Who can know? Patient attention is the thing.  Nothing wasted if I practice these: if all my mind’s resources pool together on this search, a sighting may be my reward; or maybe the mind’s imaginings as I peer with penetrating quietness; or just concentration on the search is all. The doing and the being are what counts, I think.  A day on the dunes like this is calling me I think. 

Whether I see you 

Or no, you are there and so am I

Attending to you.


Whether I see you

Or no, you won’t know at all

That I am there too.



Knights in Green Armour by Rosie Woods

Not fighters there, but gentle proud members of a fellowship of males.  Hunt they do, but only as they need, to breed and feed and strengthen.  Ladies in brown veiling, muted but serene, watch their darts and dances, and choose wisely for their brood.  But, like knights of Arthur’s Day, they grow fewer.  Rarely seen or heard but magnificent they be.  Long may they live here, be nurtured and protected, till numbers rise, and they are safe again.

 

Armour green and bright.
Proud lizard on their shielding
We bow down before you.





No comments:

Post a Comment